Friday, October 24, 2008

Fostering

Paul and I are foster parents, it's something we enjoy being a part of. I was telling Paul today - What else could I be doing that doesn't take me away from from spending time with my own family. It's something I already do on a daily basis - take care of kids. I can count it as community service. And as a bonus I get reimbursed for doing what I love. Is there a more perfect situation?

Texas is pretty sticky on the number of kids in each home, it's probably a good thing. When it involves kids and their needs I have a hard time saying no. In Hawaii on top of my own 4 I fostered 5 kids at a time - an instant family of 11. They are good kids, and the only difference between 5 and 10 is that you look before you turn around. There is bound to one or two right under your feet. - It's a good thing I have some coordination.

I find the babies are easier though. More labor type work - cause they can't do things on their own, but in the long run it breaks my heart to try to answer questions that the older kids have. The why questions. Why did this happen? Why don't I get to go home? Or to try and tell a child why another child in your home is going home, but they have to stay a little longer. And they always want a date. Which day do I get to see my mom, or they come home from a visit and tell you: My mom is better and I get to go home tomorrow, and tomorrow never comes.

No it's easier to hold and cuddle the babies. Send them on visits with their parents; get them back a few hours later to hold and cuddle some more. No serious talks about life.

To all the Birth Parents out there: your children love you for who you are - don't ever give up hope, keep trying to make your family whole. It's worth the effort.

No comments: